One of the things I really want this summer is to foster a love of reading in my children. Did I mention that we're also having a TV-free summer..other than an occasional movie, we're not watching TV (which means they have to love reading because we'll be doing A LOT of it!) One of my techniques for this is that we have 2 assigned reading times everyday. The kids have special reading spots that they go to and just read for 1/2 hour or so. Sometimes I let them read together and other times they read on their own. Here is the spot they created this afternoon.Bryn is reading to Cody from his dinosaur books. (I know I'm her mom so I'm kinda biased, but isn't it amazing that she can read that...she's not even 5 yet!) For a long time whenever we went to the library I would steer the kids in the direction of the picture books and let me have at it. About a year ago I realized that non-fiction would probably be a good idea too. Now, when we go to the library they pick a few "story" books and a few books about something they'd like to learn more about. (For Bryn, dancing, crafts, and snakes; For Cody, sports, dinosaurs, and hippos)
As far as fiction goes, Bryn has been reading through the Henry and Mudge and Amelia Bedelia collections. Cody loves to read Curious George (we've read them ALL countless times) and Clifford. Bryn and I are also reading A Little Princess. When we finish that I'm going to read the Little House series to Bryn and Cody. (I bought the whole set off eBay for a screaming deal!)
I'm also enjoying reading this summer. So far I've read Sarah, from the Women of Genesis series (I'm going to read the whole series, so Rebekah is next), and Pride and Prejudice. (Can you believe I had never read it?)
What are you reading this summer?
Monday, June 16, 2008
A Summer of Reading
Posted by Kristen at 5:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
How did you teach Bryn to read?? Elias wants to read so bad, I know he's ready, and I just don't know how to go about it.
Love the no-tv rule!
I'm reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and "A Girl's Guide To Starting Her Own Business" right now. Both keepers!
Love the reading ideas, as a reading teacher I love Mom's like you. I read the Genesis series, I thought Sarah was really good but the next ones I didn't like as well so I am looking forward to hearing what you think.
With non-fiction books for kids there is a publisher called DK (DorlingKindersley) that puts out excellent non-fiction books for kids, but the books are labeled as DK readers; bugs, snakes, spies, machines, animals and they are leveled from PreK to 4th grade. You can look online for the various title available. I love them I wish I could afford to buy the whole collection, they are like $3 a book, but look for them at the library.
Right now I am reading "The Worst Hard Time" It is a non-fiction book about the Dustbowl of the 1930's. It is really quite good. I can't wait to finish it.
Hey! I love that you're teaching your kids to love and enjoy reading. It's one of the best things you can do for them! We're still working on it. Shelby and Emily are really into reading right now. Abby just needs to find the right books that spark her interest, and I know she'll enjoy it too.
Right now I am reading "The Choice" and "Between Sundays" for book club, and I just finished the Stephanie Meyers series (I'm anxiously awaiting the fourth book and the movie later this year). I am also reading the History of the Prophet Joseph Smith by his mother Lucy Mack Smith. Lots for my mind to keep straight! :)
Enjoy the lazy days of summer!
Hey Bryn & Cody,
That looks like a sweet fort. It looks comfy with all those pillows—and it's just the right size for the two of you.
I'm readying the Amdromeda Strain/Terminal Man twofer that I bough a while back.
Post a Comment